Saturday 23 March 2013

How Can We Make Manufacturing Sexy? by Karen Lindner



I was invited to a breakfast seminar down at the First Canadian Place earlier this week.  When I first got this invitation, I was a little hesitant about accepting the invitation.  I started to wonder if this was just another seminar about continuous improvement and lean manufacturing; however, I was intrigued by the title, "How Can We Make Manufacturing Sexy", and decided to attend.

This wasn't just another seminar of sitting in a crowd and listening to a speaker.  The guest speaker, Karen Lindner, interacted with the small group of invited guests, being mostly executives. 

Karen's passion for manufacturing was clearly demonstrated.  She deeply believes that North America can once again become competitive; however, in order to achieve competitiveness, manufacturers will need to change their approach.  Her thoughts are that all employees need to become engaged in the continuous improvement philosophy, management needs to improve communication with all employees, quick fixes don't work and succesful changes cannot be achieved over a short period of time.  It's all about long term fixes and not about the here and the now.

I'm not going to further expand on her thoughts; however, I highly recommend you read Karen Lindner's book entitled How Can We Make Manufacturing Sexy?

In my opinion, this is a quantum leap to continuous improvement.

No comments:

Post a Comment